In the previous post, I shared how I got introduced to the idea of Personal Branding.
Since this is a topic you hear a lot these days, I wanted to share further insights on Personal Branding.
In this post, we will discuss what Personal Branding is, and what are some of the key benefits to you in developing a strong personal brand.
What is Personal Branding?
It is the art or method of people marketing themselves and their careers as brands.
Starbucks, Apple, Microsoft, Tesla – what do they all have in common. They are all formidable brands in their respective industries. They are not just another company in their industries, but they are “THE” company in their industries.
Starbucks is not just another coffee shop – it is a chain where you know you will get higher quality coffee in an ambient environment greeted by the most friendly staff. That is their brand.
In the technology space, IBM has a brand of proven quality and demonstrated leadership. There is a saying in the IT industry “No one ever got fired for purchasing IBM products”. This denotes quality and reliability. That is their brand.
In the same way, personal branding is about similarly marketing yourself and your services.
Michael Jordan has a reputation for being one of the most successful athletes in history. When people think of Air Highness Jordan – they think of excellence, competitiveness, and achievement. That is his brand. And his brand is worth more than a billion dollars today.
Anthony Robbins has established a brand of being thought of as a peak performance coach. When people think of Tony – they think of someone who can help you reach your full potential. That is the reason elite athletes like Serena Williams, Andre Agassi have paid him millions of dollars annually for coaching.
You don’t have to be an MVP or multiple award-winning champions; to build a personal brand. The way the market – your employers, your colleagues, your customers perceive you – that is your current personal brand. And you can build on that, and significantly improve it.
How do you want people to associate your name? When do people think of you what is the first thing that comes to their minds? In what field do you want to be considered a subject matter expert?
Asking similar questions – can help you establish a strong personal brand.
Benefits of Personal Branding
Why is this important to you? Why should you even care?
Building a personal brand helps open up professional opportunities.
- Build your Unique-ability – In a highly competitive marketplace, you need to stand out. Once you understand your brand strongly – it will help you to position yourself as unique and one-of-a-kind.
- Better Job Opportunities – Hiring managers and recruiters are inundated with the same type of candidates constantly. If you have a strong brand you are automatically improving your visibility in the marketplace. You are opening yourself to more opportunities than the average person.
- It helps you to clarify – what your niche is. It is impossible to be everything for everyone. Name one elite athlete who has gained a reputation as a champion in multiple sports. Very unlikely!! The same goes for you. Establishing a personal brand helps you identify your strengths – this provides you more clarity to build on your strengths.
- Let the clients come to you. If you are a solopreneur, freelancer, or a business owner – your brand becomes an extension to your business. People recognize who you are and they are more inclined to purchase from you.
- It makes you committed to your Personal Development. Once you have identified what your strong suit is – you are more likely to improve it. In other words, you will keep honing your skills and knowledge. This will help you to stick to a committed growth plan.
- The Complete Guide to Building your Brand
- The Business Benefits of Having a Strong Business Brand
- 7 Benefits of personal branding for solopreneurs and self-employed
- Ten Key Benefits to Personal Branding
- What is your Brand?
In the next article in the Personal Branding series, I will introduce ideas and methods on how you can start building a strong personal brand for yourself.