Due to the very flexible work environment nowadays, every year there are more professionals who opt to take the plunge and start a freelancing career.
Despite all the benefits this type of work can bring you, if you don’t work on your personal branding and merge into the background – your career will be over even before you start making an income.
Creating a personal website is one of the ways to stand out from the freelancing crowd and show the world the true professional you are.
Still, Having Doubts about a Personal Website?
Before we guide you through all the steps you need to take in order to create your new site, let’s take a breath and remind us of some of the benefits it can bring you:
- It’s a canvas for your best work – with a personal website you can show off your experience, skills and expertise. It is basically a showcase of your work that can be very useful before your first job interview.
- It will give you credibility – you are surely already aware of how important it is to have certain credibility in the world of digital marketing. When potential clients trust you, they are more likely to hire you – as simple as that!
- You can position yourself as an expert – your own, personal website is the first step towards it! If you craft a site where you’ll demonstrate (or even better – show off) your knowledge or share your advice and overall experience in the industry etc. You can gain respect from your niche followers that will lead to new clients!
- Find opportunities for referral collaborations – whether, by word-of-mouth or manual outreach, a personal website is a perfect opportunity to establish collaborations with various referrals. Your potential partners will go to your site and find out what a professional you are. So the next step is just agreeing on the collaboration terms (that suit you of course)!
- Passive income never hurt anybody – a website is one of the best ways to gain some! If you get enough traffic, your personal website can not only be helpful in finding a job but a reason for quitting the one that you don’t like. Work on your site’s features and promotions and it can result in being a great source of income.
- Grow your lead base – an online presence can be crucial to promote your expertise. Lots of connections and a long email list can really help you to find job opportunities more quickly.
- Having a personal website is professional – the reason of all reasons! A (good) website will surely add value to your expertise, no matter the niche you work in. Since not too many freelancers bother with creating a website, you will easily stand out as a professional.
- Boost your CV – a personal website is exactly that – a CV on steroids! Since you are surely aware of the importance of having a well-written portfolio this should be a reason enough to start crafting your personal website. Right after you finish reading this article.
Since now you are all set to go, let’s talk about the easiest way to create your personal website.
Where to Start?
Let me guess – you are thinking Hey, how will I build a website if I don’t know how to code? Not to mention graphic design. Luckily, even if that is the case the answer is simple: website builders (if you are a freelance web designer just skip this paragraph :-).
Crafting almost any kind of website. Especially a personal one using drag & drop website builders can be both fun and easy. It is up to you to choose a domain name and a hosting (if it isn’t included in the website builder package) and start challenging your creativity.
The next step towards your new site is choosing a template that goes well with your niche. As well as your personal style. After all, the goal is to create your personal website. Nowadays almost every website builder has a wide range of templates to choose from. So it is up to you to explore them until you find a perfect match.
Depending on the builder you opt for, you will be able to utilize different features. However, adding your own images and text is something common for all of them, just make sure that everything is SEO optimized.
One other thing that is important when starting a website is your own logo. Like mentioned above, you are not only building a website but your own brand as well, so you’ll need a logo. Some of the website builders have a logo maker included in their features, however, if this isn’t the case with yours you will easily find a logo maker online.
That’s about it, now let just go through some sections every personal website needs to thrive.
Sections Your Personal Website Shouldn’t Miss:
Now that you definitely decided to start crafting a website, the question is: how to organize it? Here are things to keep in mind:
- About me – obviously, if you are creating a personal website, you should tell your readers about yourself, right? Apart from your career background, inform your readers about your interests and hobbies. That way they can get to know a bit about your personality even before the initial interview.
- Resume and portfolio – present your work timeline in the best possible way. That being said, don’t forget to explain in a couple of sentences the responsibilities you’ve had on your previous job positions. The portfolio should consist of your best work examples, so choose wisely.
- Testimonials – review of your work is the best way to gain credibility and get proof of your competence.
- Blog – write about industry trends, share your personal experience and collaborate with guest writers. Yup, all of this (and much more) you can get with a blog section. Not to mention that SEO and content strategy almost never go without value-packed blog posts.
- Contact – honestly, this is the most important section that a website section can have! Include all information needed to be reached out easily: email, contact form, social media profiles etc.
Other sections vary on the topic you cover and expertise you have, but these are the ones to start out with.
Hope that by reading this article you’ve realized that a personal website is certainly not hard to create, not that time consuming and an investment that will surely bring you a lot of new opportunities and benefits. Therefore, pick a domain name and start crafting!