Are you looking into becoming a personal trainer?
Knowing what you want to do as a career is the first step.
In all honesty, this is a great ambition and is a sign that you are headed in the right direction.
Well, because the professional sports industry is worth billions of dollars and is only set to grow larger.
The problem is:
Most aspiring personal trainers don’t have the strength and determination to overcome the practice that goes into starting a personal training business.
This isn’t to scare anyone but rather to enlighten you about what to expect. In an effort to educate aspiring personal trainers, we’ve put together a few things that can help you excel as a personal trainer.
Let’s get started.
Who are Personal Trainers?
Today, not many people are concerned with their fitness levels. Everyone seems to be focused on ‘securing the bag’ as we all say.
This is why the negligence of fitness is on the increase. At a certain point, people will become conscious of their fitness due to reasons like body mass and health conditions.
This is where the personal trainer comes in.
A personal trainer has acquired the necessary skills, knowledge, and capabilities to create an efficient fitness program.
And, the personal trainer acts as an instructor for people and helps them to achieve their personal health and fitness goals.
How to Become a Personal Trainer?
There are certain steps you need to take before you can become a personal trainer. We’d be more than glad to walk you through these steps.
You need to research on the type of study program you want to undergo. There are various study programs available for your perusal. This program is designed to get you certified.
After choosing the right program for you, you need to prepare hard for the exam. This will take months of hard work, but beginning early has its advantage.
You need to register for your exam. The exam is the key to acquiring a personal training certificate. You should note that you can register for your exam when choosing your study program too.
Excel on your exam and land your dream job. As soon as you ace your exams, you then become a certified trainer.
What does this mean?
This means that you receive the various exclusive offers open to certified trainers such as equipment, professional discount, insurance, certificate, and ID card.
Then comes the hard part; you need to make some key decisions before going for the right position.
You need to niche down.
There are various niches available to personal trainers. It is high time you decided what niche you want to follow.
Examples of such niches include:
- Sports performance.
- Weight education.
- Behavioural change.
- Fitness nutrition.
How to Become a Successful Personal Trainer For Newbies?
Before we delve into this, you should consider this as career coaching because it is exactly what we’re doing.
As career coaches, it’s on us to guide people who are considering taking up a career challenge.
Here Are the Benefits of Having a Career Coach:
As a personal trainer, a career coach would point out the necessary skills required for you to achieve success in your career.
Here’s the thing:
You are aware that the world is dynamic. Everything changes, new trends are introduced. As career coaches, we stay ahead of the game and we are aware of the new skills that are in place to produce a game-changer.
A career coach will aid your confidence boost as a personal trainer. You need your confidence to be rock solid because it is a great step to attracting clients.
In the same vein, career coaches can help you define your value proposition. It is what makes clients value you and ensures you stand out among your competition.
A career coach can assist personal trainers to develop short-term and long-term plans for their career. You have a dream which you desire to turn into reality.
A career coach will help you and direct you on the journey of achieving your dreams. The necessary steps you need to take will be spelt out for you.
- Before you can reach the apex of your career, you need to set goals. With the aid of a career coach, you can set strategic goals and outline how to achieve these goals.
- Career coaches have a wealth of experience in gaining connections. You could use their expertise in this regard. They’ll coach you on how to approach potential clients and build an ever-growing network.
- As a personal trainer, you need to build a compelling profile.
What better way to do that than to seek the help of a career coach?
If you need to meet a potential client for business purposes, you need to sell yourself. A profile is a great start to sell yourself.
A career coach helps you in curating a profile that will highlight your outstanding features.
Your career coach will identify the relevant skills needed for your profile. You will realize that the role of a career coach in your development cannot be overestimated.
We have now established the benefits of career coaches on personal trainers.
Let’s move on to:
The Necessary Steps You Need to Take to Become a Top Personal Trainer.
You need to decide on the type of service you want to provide and the type of client you will service.
The truth is – there are so many decisions to make under this. Many opportunities abound in the personal training sector. It is the first decision you need to make.
You need to decide on the geographical location because it affects the type of people you will be training.
You can find out shortlisted locations and make your selection based on the location that will provide you with the most number of clients.
These clients must resonate with the kind of clients you want to take on.
This is why you need to choose an area of specialization.
Here are some suggestions for some groups you can target:
- Pregnant women and nursing mothers.
- Weight loss clients
- Physically impaired
- Clients interested in bodybuilding
- Aged people
Whichever group you are targeting; you need to learn the necessary skills required to excel within this group.
You can ask your career coach for professional advice.
Specialization ensures your continual growth in the chosen field. You do not have to be concerned about the others; just focus on your and develop accordingly.
Full-Time or Part-Time?
You need to decide if you’re doing this full-time or part-time. Quick advice though: if you’re keen on excelling as a personal trainer, you should take it up full-time.
As a full-time trainer, you would have the time to strategize on how to conquer the industry without distractions from other commitments.
- Expect clients to cancel — As much as you desire consistency in your clients’ training regimes, note that cancellations are normal and they will happen. Therefore, prepare for the expected unexpected to happen.
- Get certified — We cannot hammer this enough. It’s okay not to study any degree associated with physical education. However, you must get certified.
Certified trainers have access to various incentives which include pieces of training. These are incentives aim to develop your skills. So why not? Secure that certificate.
- Get liability insurance — Anything is possible, including accidents. With liability insurance, you’re certainly covered.
You should browse through insurance companies that offer such services at a reasonable rate.
- Get your business materials — Before a prospective client meets you, your materials must have done the talking. It is the first stage of persuasion. Once you cross the hurdle, the rest shouldn’t be as hard.
Therefore, let your materials sell you before you sell yourself in person. Such documents include the following:
- Business cards — ensure that your card contains comprehensive information on what you do and your contact details. Also, ensure the graphics are clear.
- Brochure — your brochure should contain everything about your business and the service you render. Your ‘about us’, company profile, services, rates, and contact details must not be left out.
- Be creative with your advertisement — People need to be aware of your services. It is why you need to advertise them.
You have to find creative ways to advertise.
It can be:
- Television jingle
- Social media marketing
- Offline marketing or
- Billboard advertising
Whatever method of advertising you chose, just make sure you stand out.
- Offer freebies — Nothing attracts people more than freebies. You’d notice that the number of sign-ups and training will increase when you organize freebies.
It can be a giveaway or a discount. It is a great way to attract more people.
- Be consistent — Whatever strategy your career coach and this post have offered you will end in futility if you’re not consistent. You cannot afford to be complacent or inconsistent. It says a lot about the kind of service you offer.
- Be reasonable with your pricing — This is a little reminder that there are many personal trainers in the game. Therefore, if your prices are above normal, it’ll scare your clients away.
You can do market research and compare prices with your competitors.
Also, let the quality of your service better whatever your pricing is. When you decide to increase in the future, your clients will offer little protest.
To Wrap It All up…
As a newbie or an aspiring personal trainer, everything you need to excel has been laid out. All you have to do is take charge of your career and make the best of it.