Is higher-education a necessity? Is it a must for everyone to have it?
The two questions can be difficult to find answers to them especially when you consider the people who are successful in life without higher education.
In this post, we will delve deep and come out with some of the high-paying jobs you won’t need a degree for. But first what is higher-education?
Higher-education is a specific education that people get from universities, colleges and other learning institutions where you earn an academic degree. It includes undergraduate and postgraduate levels.
Higher-education is today’s crucial point of knowledge and as an institution that contributes immensely to the economic development of a country and the entire world via nurturing modernism and growing advanced skills.
Higher education is an institution that helps to improve the quality of life and helps to solve major social and global encounters. It is a crucial driver of growth performance, wealth and effectiveness.
Whether we need higher-education or not, it obvious we need it however, many successful people known today have made it in life without it.
According to sources we’ve come across, higher-education provides graduates with more job opportunities to select from which those who haven’t gone beyond high school cannot afford to apply for.
In fact, studies show that people who have pursued higher-education can live many years since they can access better health care, have good economic stability and lucrative jobs and don’t necessarily rely on the government for assistance than high school graduates.
On the other hand, individuals who are successful in life and who have never gone for higher-education think that a good education is just a status and cannot guarantee wealth and success.
This is why we decided to find out whether there are jobs that people can do and become successful without the need for a degree and found 20 of them as presented below.
1) Air traffic controllers
This job entails directing and monitoring aircraft. One does not need a degree to do this job.
- Direct aircraft pilots during landing and take off.
- Direct and issue instructions on the movement of aircraft at the airport and in the air via radars and computers.
- Control baggage vehicles and airport staff.
This job does not require any working experience and is a long-term job.
The average pay for an Air Traffic Controller is $82,292
Communication skills, attention skills, decision-making skills, organizational skills, problem-solving skills
2) Creative writers
Creative writers are responsible for creating copies of books, essays, poetry, and promotional marketing sources.
You do not need necessarily need a degree to do this job, even a high-school education is fit for the job.
Produce unique written materials, like essays, editorial articles, and promotional marketing sources.
Entry-level creative writer’s salary range is $71,920
Persistence, patience, imagination, technical ability.
Creative writers are here to stay.
3) Postal Service Mail Carriers
Mail carriers are responsible for sending mail to companies, homes on a designated route. Delivery of mail can be done on foot or by vehicles.
- Distribute mail to homes and businesses.
- Sell money orders and stamps to clients.
- Receiving and signing of incoming mail.
- Sort mail for distribution.
Mail carrier salary range from $40,000 to $60,000
Excellent navigational skills, ability to carry heavy packages.
A degree is not required for this job since it can be done even with high school education.
This job is expected to last until 2026.
Painters are responsible for coordinating building painting projects, preparing paint and applying to various surfaces in buildings.
- Mixing, matching and applying paints on various surfaces as well as other finishes.
- Evaluate the required materials and the estimation of costs.
- Getting rid of paint splatters when completed.
- Create ladders for use on high walls and ceiling.
The average annual salary for a painter range from $37,570 to $57,520
Communication skills, familiarity with required tools, time management skills, detail-oriented.
5) Food Service managers
This job entails the planning and supervision of activities of businesses that deal with food and beverages.
- Supervise food preparation, portion sizes, and the overall distribution of food
- Ensure staffs conform to health and food safety standards and guidelines
The average salary range from $57,449 to $81,694
Business skills, customer service skills, leadership skills, organizational skills, problem-solving skills, speaking skills.
This job can be done even by high school graduates.
These are individuals responsible for the making, repairing and installation of large containers that store hot liquids and gases.
- Make, repair and install premade boilers into manufacturing sites and constructions.
The average annual salary range from $36,313 to $85,839
Physical strength, courageous of confined spaces, courageous of heights
7) ICT Professionals/ Tech Support
This is a job for computer nerds who are capable of learning and troubleshooting to fix computer problems.
- Troubleshoot computer problems.
- Install computer software and updates.
- Cleaning of computer labs.
- Training staff on the use of computers.
Annual average salary is $34,000 to $76,000
Communication skills, troubleshooting skills, attention to detail, flexibility, teamwork.
8) Crane or Tower operators
These are individuals responsible for operating towers and cranes. Work is normally done in manufacturing firms. The job entails moving large construction materials using cranes.
- Operate cranes to lift and relocate construction materials, a shipment of containers and other heavy objects.
The average annual salary ranges from $37,110 to $56,261
Operation and control, critical thinking, active listening, troubleshooting, quality control analysis
This job can be done by high school graduates and some college.
9) Ship Pilots
These are individuals responsible for steering ships into and out of harbors on lakes, oceans, and rivers.
- Steer ships into and out of harbors and instructing tugboat captains to berth and unberth ships.
The average annual salary range from $56,000 to $84,000
Maneuvering skills, social skills, area knowledge
10) Computer Network Support Specialists
These are information technology specialists working with companies to provide support and advice to ensure the safety and security of networks and information maintained.
- Identify the causes of networking hitches, using diagnostic testing software and devices.
- Back up network data.
The average annual salary is $60,277
Customer service skills, problem-solving skills, communication skills, listening skills.
Computer network support specialists are here to stay until 2026
11) Makeup Artists
This job entails applying makeup to artists, celebrities, individuals, and entertainers during special events like weddings and dates.
- Work with people to create various looks.
- Style hair according to makeup.
- Advice clients on skincare routines.
The average makeup artist salary range from $21,000 to $52,000
Creativity and imagination, excellent attention to detail, communication skills, hair styling.
12) Gas Station Operators
These are individuals responsible for operating steam and gas equipment and also power-driven pumps to transfer liquids and gas and powdered materials.
- Work with power-driven pumps to transfer liquids, gases and semi-liquids and powdered materials.
- Compress/cover gas like nitrogen, butane, and natural gas.
Entry levels salary is $68,000
Organizing skills, Planning skills, problem-solving skills, creative thinking skills.
13) Gaming Managers
This work is usually done by individuals in Casinos. It entails the preparation, directing and organizing of gaming activities.
- Maintain an understanding of all games used at the Casino, as well as policies or tricks employed in those games.
- Recruitment and hiring of staff.
The average annual salary for a gaming manager range from $55,406 to $105,036
Communications skills, decision-making skills, problem-solving skills, planning skills, organizational skills.
This job can be done by high school graduates.
14) Mining Professionals
Work with diesel or motor powered shuttle car in quarries to move materials from working to conveyors.
- Checking mining tools and equipment, structures, or material.
- Control conveyors that run the entire length of shuttle cars to transport materials as loading progresses.
The average annual salary is $56,370
Communication skills, problem-solving skills, decision-making skills, creative thinking skills.
15) Real Estate Sales Agents
These are individuals tasked with buying and selling properties on behalf of clients.
- Sell property for clients.
- Buy property for clients.
- Negotiate the price on behalf of clients.
- Find clients on behalf of real estate owners.
The average annual salary for a real estate sales agent range from $44,090 to $112,570
Honesty and integrity, communication skills, negotiation skills, understanding of the real estate market.
16) Funeral Service Managers
These are individuals responsible for organizing, planning and directing funeral services.
- Assisting and caring for the briefed.
- Recording of funeral information.
- Planning work and funeral activities.
The average salary for a funeral service manager ranges from $35,000 to $76,000
Speaking skills, time management, coordination skills, communication skills, and negotiation skills.
17) Distribution Managers
These individuals coordinate the distribution, storage, and delivery of goods according to business policies and government regulations.
- Managing warehousing and logistics teams.
- Implementation of the organization’s strategic plan as well as contribute to and participate in the assessment and scrutiny of the business objectives.
The average salary for a distribution manager range from $76,399 to $105,131
Management skills, administrative skills, interpersonal skills, Microsoft office skills
18) Web Developers
These are individuals responsible for designing and maintaining websites
- Designing company and client’s websites.
- Modifying websites.
- Maintaining websites.
- Providing user support to clients.
The average salary for a web developer is $66,130
19) Petroleum Pump Operators
These are individuals responsible for working with equipment in petroleum facilities and processing units.
- Operate pumps.
- Monitor temperatures and gauges.
- Regulate multiple processing units.
The average salary for this job is 67,870
Artistic skills, communication skills, problem-solving skills, detailed-oriented skills.
This job can be done by a high school graduate.
20) Elevator Installers
These are individuals responsible for assembling, installing and repairing elevators.
- Installation and repair of elevator doors, cables, motors, and control systems.
- Examine newly installed tools to ensure that it meets specifications.
- Conform to safety guidelines and building codes
The average salary for an Elevator installer is $78,890
Detail-oriented, mechanical skills, troubleshooting skills communication skills, problem-solving skills.
Example of successful people without a degree
Today, the mantra of going to school to get a job seems to be irrelevant. There are successful people without a degree out there and below are just some examples.
a) Richard Branson
Richard Branson is the founder and owner of Virgin records. It is believed that he started The Student, a magazine when he was 16 years old at Stowe School in England. Richard Branson did not attend college. Richard Branson’s net worth is projected at $5 billion as of January 2018.
b) Bill Gates
Bill Gates is currently the richest man in the world. He attended Harvard University in 1975 and dropped out to start Microsoft, a leading company in the tech world. Bill Gates’ net worth is projected to be $90.2 Billion.
c) Steve Jobs
Steve Jobs is the co-founder of Apple. He attended Homestead High School in 1972 and joined Reed College but dropped out before he could graduate.
d) Mark Zuckerberg
Mark Zuckerberg the founder and owner of Facebook a giant social media platform also dropped out of Harvard University where he launched Facebook in 2004. His net worth is estimated to be $74.2 billion.
Although pursuing a degree in your education makes you stand a higher chance of getting jobs and become successful in life, there are still people who are successful and who are college dropouts.
We hope this post will help you to realize that you can still be successful in life. You can consider taking the jobs mentioned above, become creative and start your own venture and end up becoming successful.