Have you been thinking of moving into a health administration career? Or maybe you have found yourself thinking, “what is health administration?”. If so, you have come to the right place.
In this article, we are going to talk about the role of a health administrator, their responsibilities and duties, and their average salary per year.
If you are thinking of moving into the health industry, then keep on reading.
Being a Health Administrator
A healthcare administrator’s role is to oversee the day to day operations within a healthcare facility or hospital. They are to ensure that everything runs smoothly and that there is enough qualified staff on duty at all times.
To become successful in the role of a healthcare administrator, they must hold a qualification, generally a health administration degree, and be reliable and efficient at all times. They must know medical terminology and the regulations that are required in healthcare.
Duties of a Health Administrator:
The duties and responsibilities of a healthcare administrator include, but are not limited to:
- Monitoring and developing a budget to be followed.
- Keeping records of office supplies and medical supplies and ordering when needed.
- Check to ensure the departments are complying with regulations, policies, and procedures.
- Informing staff of new regulations, policies, and procedures.
- Maintaining up to date patient records.
- Develop work rosters and schedules.
- Hire new staff/employees and conduct interviews.
- Coordinate with doctors and nurses about their needs.
The Skillset Required to Become a Health Administrator:
Working in a healthcare setting requires extensive knowledge and a vast skill set. Some of these requirements include:
- Negotiation skills
- Policy and procedure making skills.
- Leadership skills.
- Strong communication skills.
- Knowledge of healthcare skills.
- Orientation skills.
- Time management skills.
The Average Salary of Health Administrator:
The median average salary of a healthcare administrator is around $120,000 a year. With a top salary of $241,000, making this a great high paying healthcare position in 2017 (Source: CNN Money).
So there you have it, if you are considering moving into a healthcare administration position, you will have an excellent salary and many benefits. However, this job does require an advanced skill set and degree.
If you like assisting and helping people, this can be described as one of the most rewarding jobs in the industry and allows you with opportunities to advance your career.
Just remember always to do your research so that you can make the right career choice for you.