Your resume is your entry point to the company you are applying to. While in-person, you would dress appropriately and match your physical presence with your personality, so should your resume.
Resumes should not be just blocks of texts that are senselessly put together. It must reflect your personality, too.
This is what Enhancv Resume Builder is trying to achieve. Enhancv aims to build you a resume with a “memorable design” and would help yours pop out of employers’ lists.
This extensive (and unbiased) Enhancv Resume Builder Review will discuss the experience of creating a resume using their website, support options, reviews, and other information about the website.
- About Enhancv Resume Builder
- Setting up Your Enhancv Account
- Building Your Resume on Enhancv
- Enhancv Resume Builder Pricing
- Enhancv Support
- Enhancv Resume Builder Reviews
- The Pros of Using Enhancv
- The Cons of Using Enhancv
- Final Thoughts — Should You Use Enhancv to Build Your Resume?
Let’s get started.
About Enhancv Resume Builder
Enhancv is a resume builder that was launched by three friends in 2015. From then on, their small team grew to 14 people as they added more features into their site like Invite Friends, the Content Analyzer, and Ask for Feedback. In 2017, the company changed its leadership and moved to Bulgaria a year later.
At present, the entire Enhancv team is run by 10 people whose goal is to “put an Enhancv resume on every recruiter’s desk”.
Enhancv said that their edge is that their tool helps people highlight their achievements, attitude, and personality to confidently tell their story.
Building Your Resume on Enhancv
Go to Enhancv’s website and click the button “Build Your Resume Now” at the center of the page. You may also click “Get Started” at the top right corner of the screen.
You will be led to a page where you have to choose between starting with an industry example or starting with a blank document.
If you choose to start with a blank document, it will lead you directly to the resume editing page.
Meanwhile, if you choose to start with an industry example, it will lead you to a page where you have to sort out and decide which industry you belong to and match your resume’s look.
If you chose to start with an industry example, choose which category your job position belongs to. You can also search by role using the search bar in the middle of the screen.
A preview of a resume that will match your role can be viewed on the right-hand side of the screen.
Once you are done choosing your industry and the look of your resume, click “Use this Resume” at the bottom right part of your screen.
You are going to be led to the page’s main editor. Here you can just change the default details with your corresponding information. You can also move the blocks of texts around.
After filling up the necessary information, you can continue to edit your resume.
Some tools will allow you to change the template you are currently using, change the font, and your resume’s accent color on the editor’s topmost part. You can also add a background to your resume.
You can also preview your resume in full-page form, rearrange the sections, create a new resume, and translate your resume. All the commands for these edits are found on the leftmost side of the screen.
Once you are done, click the “Download” button on the leftmost panel. This will prompt you to create an account with Enhancv so you can download the resume you made.
Setting up Your Enhancv Account
You will need to set up your account with Enhancv to download your resume, share the link to your resume, and get comments.
You can set up your account in three ways:
First, after you have built a resume, click “download” on the leftmost side of your screen, or click “sign up” at the rightmost corner of your screen.
Second, you can start setting up an account by clicking the sign-in button on the main page of Enhancv. It is found in the upper right corner of the screen.
Third, you can also set up an account by clicking the “Sign In” button on the page where you have to choose to start with a blank resume or a template.
All these three pages lead you to fill out a form, which you should complete with your details.
Once you have filled out your form, it will lead you to your dashboard, where you can see the resume you created.
You may download your chosen resume by sending the file to your email through a text format or a PDF file format.
Enhancv Cover Letter Builder
Enhancv also offers a free cover letter builder to bridge the usual disconnect between job seekers’ resumes and cover letters. Their premise is that people tend to spend a long time perfecting their resumes but quickly throw together a cover letter without thought.
Enhancv ties the two together by matching the look and feel of the cover letter with your resume. They also have a database of cover letters from more than 50 employment positions, which you can easily edit through their platform.
To access their cover letter builder, click “Cover Letter” on the main page.
This will lead you to their cover letter landing page. If you want to create your cover letter wordings from scratch, click “Build My Cover Letter”.
If you want to use a cover letter example from their database, scroll down, and, from the displayed job positions, choose the one that best fits the position you are applying for.
Here are a few examples of cover letter templates you will find on Enhancv:
- Account Director.
- Administrative Assistant.
- Business Analyst.
- Business Development.
- Business Development Manager.
- Business Manager.
- Campus Director.
- Chemical Engineer.
- Clinical Research Coordinator.
- Content Writer.
- Data Analyst.
- Data Engineer.
- Data Scientist.
- Digital Director.
- Digital Marketing.
- Digital Marketing Intern.
- Director of Engineering.
- English Teacher.
- Entry-Level Civil Engineer.
- Entry Level IT.
- Event Director.
- Executive Assistant.
- General Manager.
- Innovation Engineer.
- Innovation Specialist.
- Interior Designer.
- Lending Manager.
- Market Analyst.
- Operations Manager.
- Procurement Manager.
- Product Manager.
- Product Marketing Manager.
- Product Owner.
- Project Manager.
- QA Engineer.
- Real Estate Portfolio Manager.
- Sales Representative.
- Scrum Master.
- Senior Lecturer.
- Senior Marketing Manager.
- Senior Software Engineer.
- Social Media Manager.
- Social Media Specialist.
- Software Developer.
- Software Engineer.
- Software Engineering Intern.
- Solutions Architect.
- Supply Chain.
- Technical Account Manager.
- University Faculty.
- Vice President of Sales.
- Video Producer.
- Web Developer.
Once you have chosen, click “Use this Example.”
Then proceed to edit and download your cover letter similar to how you did it with your resume.
Enhancv Resume Builder Pricing
While setting up an account, building a resume, and downloading it in various formats is free, Enhancv has a premium option.
Its features include the removal of their branding watermark at the end of your resume, as well as the unlocking of more fonts, templates, colors, and other features.
Below is a table detailing the price model of Enhancv
$10.99 billed every 6 months
$14.99 billed every 3 months
$19.99 billed every month
The Enhancv team can be reached through their help center.
You can access this by going to the main page and scrolling to the website’s bottom-most part. Click “Help”, which is the last of four items under the About Us column. This will lead you to a page that has frequently asked questions about resumes and their resume builder.
From here, you can search for relevant articles about your query.
If you want to contact the team directly, click on the chat bubble located at the lower right-hand corner of your screen.
This will open up a chat bubble that will allow you to type in queries, comments, and complaints that you think need the Enhancv team’s attention.
- Usage information.
- Log information.
- Account information.
- Billing information and payment details.
- Contact information.
- Sensitive information.
- How do we protect your personal information?
- Your legal rights.
- “Keep in mind we never share the information you provide with third parties, except for chosen partners that are used for the purpose of providing you with a stable and enjoyable experience when using Enhancv. We have tried to outline here the main points of how these partners and third-party services collect and use data, but for the most detailed and up-to-date information, you should review their own privacy policies.”
- “You always remain in control of your data. You may edit or erase your data from our services at any time or ask us to update or erase information we store, as long as this erasure is not in conflict with any legal obligations we may hold to national and international regulators.”
- “Enhancv Ltd. and its authorized partners shall take appropriate organizational and technical measures to protect your Information and traffic data provided to us/them or collected by us/them, and shall not retain it any longer than permitted in order to perform its services or as required under relevant legislation. Your data can only be accessed by authorized employees of Enhancv, or by Enhancv authorized partners’ employees needing to access this data to fulfill their given duties.”
Enhancv Resume Builder Reviews
Among the top negative comments of users from this page include Enhancv’s inability to respond to queries right away and too expensive for use. These are also the comments of people on their official social media accounts.
Meanwhile, the top positive comments about Enhancv include their modern and sleek looking templates, user-friendly interface, and overall positive experience.
The Pros of Using Enhancv
1. Unique Templates
This is their main selling point. They have an extensive gallery of resumes that combine various elements and can be tailored to your industry’s taste preference.
Their resume encourages you to think beyond the obvious to make a resume that portrays you authentically – your attitude, personality, and professional expertise. What makes their templates stand out is the subtle use of icons and graphs that are very creative for a resume but not too empowering to look very professional.
Their templates were viewed and also reviewed by prominent business leaders and the press.
Mark Cuban, on CNBC, said, “I love it and would recommend it for anyone. It’s so much better than a droll traditional resume.”
Business Insider also said, “Enhancv provides you with a bold and lovely template and is incredibly easy to fill out. The clear-cut résumé builder allows you to customize fonts, colors, backgrounds, and sections.”
INC Magazine said, “A good résumé pops off the page. A bad one looks like a junior high student managed to sneak into the computer lab…Enhancv improves this process.”
2. Fun Insights into the Resources Part
Resume builder websites usually have blogs, but Enhancv is made imparting wisdom, fun, and creativity.
On the upper bar of their main page, click on the “resources” button, and it will lead you to fun quizzes and scanners that will improve your job search.
As of this writing, there are five resources available on their website:
Should you stay or quit your job? — A quiz that evaluates your current position in 3 minutes or less to find out if there’s just a bump in the road or it’s the end of the line.
Is your resume good enough? — A 3-minute resume free and fast resume grader that relies on algorithms developed by reading 500,000 resumes.
Resume Job Assessment Tool — A three-step resume keyword checker and assessment tool that scans your resume and suggests optimizations for your job hunt. This is also free.
How long does it take to find a job? A four-minute quiz aims to tell you how much time getting it will take for you to get a job.
Are You Unhappy at Work? — A five-minute quiz to find out if you’re unhappy at work and what’s the main reason for it. They also give you some ideas and solutions to follow.
They also have two worksheets available for you to download for free: The Shape of Your Story: a graph you could fill out to know how your struggles shaped your journey, and Your Definition of Success: a worksheet to help you understand why and how you define success.
3. Loading or Transition Pages Have Quotes
Enhancv’s waiting and loading pages are filled with words of wisdom and advice on career advancement, making every bit of the resume building journey productive and worthwhile.
The Cons of Using Enhancv
1. Cannot Be Downloaded as a Word Document
“When sharing documents using other word processors like Microsoft Word, the formatting can change dramatically,” Enhancv said in one of its FAQs.
Unlike other resume builders, Enhancv insists on just the PDF format as it may mess up with the layout. While this is practical, especially with their templates that use icons and graphs, this is not entirely advantageous for some job seekers who wish to apply for various companies.
It is because some companies require a Microsoft Word-formatted resume. It would be a hassle for a job seeker to use two or more different resume builders just because a Word format is not available on the one they are currently using.
2. Free Version Has Limited Features
Their free version only allows for 15 section movements on their resume builder.
They also only three font styles:
*Items with locked icons are only accessible in the Pro version
And three predefined accent colors:
*Items with locked icons are only accessible in the Pro version
Also, you cannot remove their branding watermark unless you get the premium version.
There have been a lot of negative reviews on Enhancv’s pricing compared to other resume builders.
If they are going to charge users a certain amount of money, they should make sure that there is a wide variety of templates, fonts, and value-for-money services.
Final Thoughts — Should You Use Enhancv to Build Your Resume?
Did it live up to its claim of being “The resume builder trusted by professionals”?
Our verdict is: Maybe.
Reading several reviews and taking into account our own experience, this small startup’s version of a resume builder is a new and refreshing take on resumes. For a startup having ten people, their work is inspiring.
Their resumes help you stand out from the crowd because of their eye-catching design that usually includes subtle graphics. This type of resume is uncommon among resume builders, and we believe this is one of the things that give Enhancv an edge over other resume builders.
Several reviews have also expressed gratitude for the site, for helping them build a “unique” and different looking resume, which, in their opinion, helped them get the job that they want. Most of these are professionals ranging from software developers to creative directors.
They also have a wide variety of industry examples to choose from, making it not only personalized but relatable, too.
- Enhancv’s Interface — Clean, cool, and comfortable on the eyes. It is also quick to navigate. The site also allows for flexibility in editing your resume.
- Best extra feature — Their mini-blog. There is a section “resources” on their website that features small quizzes. These are three to five-minute graders, aiming to help your career in a quick and fun way.
- Other extra features — Free cover letter builder feature with examples from 50 different job titles. Their cover letter builder also comes through the editing interface similar to the resume builder editor. They have four examples for the free version: a formal letter, a casual letter, a creative letter, and an academic letter. You can view them for free, but you would have to use them verbatim under your name.
- Enhancv’s biggest downfall — Its pricing. Several comments say that the price is too steep for the services offered. Its pricing model — a subscription-based on a semi-annual, quarterly, and monthly basis — has also been frowned upon by some users.
- Top user complaints — Their support team being hard to reach and unresponsive. While they have a support system through their chatbox, they should make major improvements in their accessibility, especially when customers pay for their services.
Overall, Enhancv is a resume builder for people who want hip and modern resumes. Their resume templates look different from most resume builders, increasing your chance of standing out from a pile of resumes on an employer’s desk.